This was a quick dinner I put together this week. One of those “something with chicken” was what I knew what I was doing and this was what appeared 😉 I did sort of start thinking I was going to follow an Arroyo Con Pollo recipe I have, but I ended up making enough changes it didn’t resemble the recipe once I finished – lol
It went over well with everyone but the 3 year old who thought it was a little too spicy so he had mostly rice. It even got a thumbs up and second helping from the husband- which is fairly impressive for a made up meal 😉
This easily served all of us, with 1-2 servings leftover. I served it over rice. And if you wanted a green salad would go nicely with it as well.
- 2 chicken breasts (2-2 1/2#), cut into small chunks
- 2-3 TB olive oil for cooking
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 10 oz can beef consumee (or equivalent of bone broth of choice)
- 14 oz can coconut milk
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2-4 tsp turmeric ( I used 4, but start with 2 and taste and add accordingly, it can get spicy for little ones or those who prefer milder taste)
- 1 - 1 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 - 1 cup fresh basil, slightly chopped
- Arrowroot or the like to thicken
- Cut up chicken and place in large saucepan with a bit of olive oil and begin cooking.
- Add onion and garlic while it's cooking.
- When chicken is almost finished, add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT peas and basil
- Simmer 15-20 minutes till flavors are combined and chicken is cooked completely.
- Add peas and basil and bring back to a simmer - 5-10 minutes
- Thicken sauce to desired consistency, I used 2-3 TB arrowroot in a bit of water and stirred in to get a sauce that wasn't too runny and watery but creamy enough to pour nicely over the rice.
- Serve hot over rice.
- This easily served 2 adults and 6 medium size kids with a couple servings left over.
- Would also be nice with a green salad.